Monday, March 21, 2011

Week Three: Vision Correction Surgery

Okay, so we're supposed to be getting into the RV and going somewhere.  But we've got all these things we want to take care of first!  Next on my list was surgical vision correction so I could leave the painful contacts behind and dump the cumbersome glasses.  Unfortunately, it turns out that I have bumpy corneas and am not eligible for the more common Lasik surgery.  Most people have great vision and no pain the day after Lasik.  Instead I will need to undergo PRK, a painful surgery that leaves you blind for several days before blurred vision is restored.  Eventually after a month or more I should see pretty well.  Thank goodness for all the drugs they prescribed because I was in a haze and slept for two days after the procedure.  Brian was a gem taking care of Lukas and bringing me more drugs and eye drops as needed.  Occasionally I ate some food, too.  Day 4 post-surgery I could see sometimes, then it would get blurry again.  Sunday was a maiden voyage of my new eyes to a toddler birthday party.  It's hard to feel confident when you can't quite make out what's ahead or behind you.  At least I can use the computer again, and hopefully vision will continue to improve to a permanent 20/20.

No comments:

Post a Comment